Tanya is the Managing Director of TBWA\Sydney
Connect with Tanya on Linkedin
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
Embarrassing story - I watched Melrose Place in my childhood and Heather Locklier (aka Amanda) sold me on advertising!
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Be curious, always. Ask a million questions, read read read - do everything to learn about this wonderful industry.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
Chemistry is everything - do you have the passion, are you curious, do you have drive
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
Bring your creativity - anything that stands out of the inbox is a win
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
Attention to detail, desire to learn and keen to do.
6. Do you need a degree?
Yes - Bachelor of Business majoring in Marketing.
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
Bring your authentic real self every day.
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
No not really, still find it exciting & still believe creativity has the power to change the world.
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
Yeah of course, it's how we learn. Hurts the ego at first, but then i'll be sure not to make the same mistake.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
Probably speak up more - i always sat waiting for recognition but i should've actually 'marketed' myself more actively, in my own authentic way.