Ed is the Managing Partner at Hall and Partners
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
I love understanding why people behave as they do and the triggers of influence – all effective marketing decisions should be based on a human insight and I love the a-ha moment of finding that new news!
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Think about the long game - don’t sweat the little things but be open to opportunities.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
Cultural fit and a natural curiosity - the rest can be taught but those characteristics are vital.
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
Don’t think about what you want to say, think about what the hiring manager wants to know, such as the outcomes achieved. While everyone loves strategy work, our roles often come down to operational effectiveness and financial outcomes. Don’t be modest, but transparency is key.
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
Relationship building and communications skills are important, but most of all, kindness and empathy are EVERYTHING in business. Without them, repeat work and long lasting relationships are pipe dreams…
6. Do you need a degree?
Hmmm… I think it’s beneficial but that’s a hard one to answer… most learning is done on the job, but a degree is nice on paper and gets you in the door though… I value diverse experience more where people have developed skills you can’t learn in a classroom, such as theatre, team sports, creative ideas or entrepreneurial pursuits.
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
You don’t always needs to have the answer…Having the confidence to say ‘I don’t know, but let me find out’ will work in your favour. The ability to make yourself vulnerable is a strength, not a flaw…
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
I know so much more now and wish I understood the industry back then - I was green and didn’t know the different facets of the industry - I am still learning!
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
Yes!!!!! Learn, learn, learn. But most importantly own the mistake as you can’t do the learning without this acknowledgment.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
Wow - probably gaining an understanding of the marketing ecosystem at a much younger age…