Ben is the Owner Director of Lead Agency March One
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
A good friend of mine chose to do it at uni and I thought I could do it better.
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Learn about money. Find out how your organisation makes money/creates value. Ask about why people buy from your particular business over others. Try to get a sense of your own worth verses the worth of people at the top. Find out how they got there.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
A unique life experience. A zest for life. And an example where you have dominated in any field - sports, music, math…anything.
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
Don’t do a resume. Ugh. Get involved in the industry and become known for your great work ethic and personality.
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
Idea generation. Sales and presenting skills.
6. Do you need a degree?
Yes and a trade as an electrician.
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
Don’t wait to be discovered. Be bold so you can’t be ignored.
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
Yes. The entire industry has changed. Today I’m more interested in ideas that sell things rather than ideas for creativity sake.
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
If you’re not failing you’re playing it too safe. I fail every day and when I do I just reframe it as learning and move on.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
I would have invested outside of my career earlier. It’s very hard to get ahead on a wage. What you do with that wage, that’s how you get ahead.