Patrick is the Head of Group Media at Coles
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
I've always been drawn to the impact that marketing can have. We have the unique ability to positively impact business growth, change customer perceptions of the brands we are custodians for, and at times lean in and help influence cultural change. What's not to love!
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Don't be afraid to stand up for what's right, particularly when it comes to the treatment of colleagues and those you lead in the workplace.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
Curiosity. Someone who isn't afraid to ask questions and challenge the status quo is always a big plus for me!
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
Look for opportunities to gain experience, either paid or unpaid and then highlight those experiences. Volunteering for a charity or supporting a local business with their growth and marketing plans are great ways in which you can stand out from the crowd and demonstrate healthy ambition!
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
Empathy, resilience and determination - all soft skills, but important for a sustained career.
6. Do you need a degree?
No, but it definitely helps. It’s more important to demonstrate continuous curiosity and learning.
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
To find a healthy balance between leaning on data/ insights and your intuition, both will serve you well, but collectively they're a powerful combination.
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
Yes, the role that brands play within the broader community has increased over the last two decades and that inspires me.
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
You wouldn't be human if you haven't failed. I've become comfortable in myself to own my mistakes and carry the lessons forward.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
Not much to be honest. I'm a believer that you are where you are for a reason. Plus, I like to look forward, not back!