Debbie is the Chief Marketing Officer ANZ Zip Co
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
I always wanted to help people and I realised I could do this at scale through marketing.
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Be curious and learn as much as you can in each role. Put yourself out there, be confident in your strengths and find roles that leverage your strengths.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
Culture fit is the most important element, willingness to learn, and a drive or passion, whether personal or professional.
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
When starting out, show your personality, your strengths and what you're looking to achieve. Tailor your resume to the role and highlight your achievements.
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
Building relationships, driving results, commercial acumen
6. Do you need a degree?
For roles I am hiring I normally look for a degree or equivalent experience. I’ve had brilliant staff who are not degree qualified but have the smarts and experience to do an amazing job.
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
Don't be scared to fail - that is how we learn.
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
No, if anything they have been reinforced.
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
I was asked to manage a project and after a period of time, I knew we were solving the wrong problem. It didn't make sense to proceed, however it took me a while to build the confidence to speak up. This was the right outcome and the project was closed down. I could have saved time by speaking up sooner.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
There isn't a lot I would change with my career. There is one role I would have left sooner in hindsight, but otherwise I have learned so much from each role, and each experience has contributed to the leader I am today.