Adam is the Chief Growth Officer at NOVA Entertainment
1. Why did you choose advertising/marketing as a career path?
I was lured in by the intersection of creativity and commerce.
2. What's the best advice you'd give to your younger self who's just started their career?
Chill-out! You’ve got this.
3. What do you look for when hiring young people?
Enthusiasm and a genuine point-of-view on my business / brand.
4. How do I make my resume stand out?
Design. We’re all aesthetes, so make me want to look it, not want to poke my eyes out with a stick because of the sea of text and bullet points.
Also, find a way - any way - to tell me it’s in the pile in the first place, and give me a reason to seek it out.
5. What skills have been most beneficial for you?
The sell. Having an idea is great, but unless you can move it through the business to the point an *actual* person in the real-world sees it (and ideally does something off the back of it), then the idea is worthless.
6. Do you need a degree?
7. What was a key lesson you learnt in your career to date?
You’re better than you think you are.
8. Have your reasons for joining the industry changed over time?
No, but my reasons for staying have. I used to stay for the next big promotion, pay rise or award-winning campaign. Now I stay to help businesses grow and to help people be proud of what they do.
9. Have you ever failed? How did you react?
Loads of times.
The ‘change curve’ is a thing and I go through the classic stages of grief as I grieve my stupidity / naïveté / impatience.
Having always worked in very fast-paced businesses though, I go from denial to acceptance (and then growth) in hours and days rather than weeks and months.
Life’s too short to dwell.
10. If you had the chance to re-do your career knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
As trite as it sounds, honestly nothing. Our experiences define us, so I wouldn’t be me without those things (good and bad).
If pushed, maybe doing the vodka luge with a client when I was an Account Exec (at a high profile launch event, in front of my bosses) wasn’t the best idea…